If you want to change the extension of any file, you need enough knowledge to do it. This article will teach you how to change the file extension in Windows 10 step by step.
Saving a file under a different extension
This process works well for any file type as it helps you change the file’s expansion without any errors.
- Open a specific file in its default program
- Click on – File menu and hit – Save with name.
- Select the folder where you wish to save that file and then assign a name.
- When you get the dialog box – Save with name, under the box where you find the name written, you can see a drop-down menu named as – Save as which displays a list of different file formats in which your program can be saved.
- There will be no modification done to the original file instead a copy of that specific file will be saved with a different file extension
- This modification is helpful when converting images to various other formats that may be a little compressed.
Change the extension by renaming the file
- The expansion of any data along with its name only, but you cannot see the extension as it is hidden.
- View or make the extension visible, open any of the folders, and press the topmost section on the menu.
- In that menu, check for the option- File name extensions and enable it.
- It is recommended that once you finish doing the changes, turn this option OFF as if you leave it ON; there is always the risk of changing the file’s extension accidentally while renaming it.
- So follow these steps carefully and change the file extension without making any errors.