Backgammon is one of the ancient board games where the goal of the game is to shift pieces through and off the board’s triangles before the opponent succeeds in doing it.
About the game
- It is a game for two players. The game is played on board comprises 24 narrow triangles termed as points. The triangles that have alternate colors are categorized in one group of 4 quadrants of 6 triangles each.
- The quadrants are called home board and outer board of the player and home board and external board of the opponent. Both the home & exterior boards are isolated with the help of a ridge below the bar (center of the board)
- At the beginning of the game, both the players start by rolling a single dice to decide who will start. The player getting the higher toll is allowed to start the game. The player throws the dice, and then the opponent throws the dice. In every turn, the player is supposed to roll two dice. Then the numbers displayed on the dice decide the distance at which the player can move the pieces.
- In case a similar number is displayed on the dice after rolling, then the player proceeds assuming there are four dice with the same number.
- While moving the pieces, you need to shift the topmost parts of the triangle. With each move, you may end up running into a triangle having
- Your pieces
- No pieces
- One opposing piece
- In case you shift a piece into the opposing part, then that particular piece will get eliminated and arranged in the center of the board.
- The owner of that piece is supposed to return the part to the board, starting from scratch. They will not be allowed to make any moves until all the pieces they possess are placed back on the board.
- After all the pieces are placed on the board, you can start eliminating parts.
- You can roll a number corresponding to the distance of the piece need to travel to come out of the board.
- The unused dice show numbers higher than needed to bear any of the pieces off.
The primary goal of the game is to shift all the checkers you have on your home board and further bear all of them off. The one who bears off all of the checkers will be declared as the winner of the game.